West Bengal Civil Service (Executive) frequently termed as W.B.C.S.(Exe), is the civil services of West Bengal state. The recruitment for the vacant posts for different state services is made through annual Competitive Examination which is conducted by West Bengal Public Service Commission.
The selected W.B.C.S.(Exe) officers are generally appointed as “Deputy Magistrate & Deputy Collector” and usually start their career as “Block Development Officer”. These selected Officers perform key administrative functions in various departments of the state. Many of the W.B.C.S.(Exe) officers will be nominated to All India Services as IAS officers in their later stage of their careers. Gujarat Civil Services, Haryana Civil Services, Nagaland Civil Service Exam, etc., are the other popular state civil service exams.
The W.B.C.S. (Exe.) Examination is a combined Competitive Examination having four separate and distinct examinations for selecting candidates into four separate groups of services namely A, B, C and D. A candidate can compete with one or more groups at a time.
GROUP – A
The posts that fall under group A are given below
- Post: (i) West Bengal Civil Service (Executive)
- Post: (ii) West Bengal Commercial Tax Service
- Post: (iii) West Bengal Agricultural Income-tax Service
- Post: (iv) West Bengal Excise Service
- Post: (v) West Bengal Cooperative Service
- Post: (vi) West Bengal Labour Service
- Post: (vii) West Bengal Food and Supplies Service
- Post: (viii) West Bengal Employment Service [Except the post of Employment Officer (Technical)]
- Post: (ix) West Bengal Registration and Stamp Revenue Service
The Pay Scale for group A posts will in the pay band 4A (PB-4A) Rs.15,600/- to 42,000/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400, and the gross emoluments for the entry level candidates will be Rs.21,000/- besides M.A., D.A., and H.R.A.
GROUP – B
West Bengal Police Service posts will fall Under group B and the Pay Scale will be from Rs.15,600/- to 42,000/- + Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-. The Gross emoluments at the entry level will be Rs.21,000/- besides the general emoluments like M.A., D.A., and H.R.A.
GROUP – C
The posts that fall under group C are listed below
- Post: (i) Superintendent, District Correctional Home/Deputy Superintendent, Central Correctional Home
- Post: (ii) Joint Block Development Officer
- Post: (iii) Deputy Assistant Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Business Practices
- Post: (iv) West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service
- Post: (v) West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service, Grade-I
- Post: (vi) Assistant Commercial Tax Officer
- Post: (vii) Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation)
- Post: viii) Chief Controller of Correctional Services:
The Pay Scale for group A posts will in the pay band 4 with Rs.9,000/- to 40,500/- and Grade Pay of Rs. 4,400/- with Gross emoluments of Rs.13,400/- at the entry level along with M.A., D.A., and H.R.A.
GROUP – D
Mainly three posts will come under this category that are listed below.
- Post: (i) Inspector of Co-operative Societies
- Post: (ii) Panchayat Development Officer under the Panchayat and Rural Development Department
- Post: (iii) Rehabilitation Officer under the Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Department
The Pay Scale for group A posts will in the pay band 3 from Rs.7,100/- to 37,600/- + Grade Pay Rs. 3,900/- and the Gross emoluments during entry level will be Rs.12,270/- besides M.A., D.A., and H.R.A.
The eligibility criteria are given below
- (i) Any graduation degree from a recognized University.
- (ii) Ability to write, read, and speak Bengali and this will not be applicable for the candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali
- (iii) The candidate’s must have a minimum of 21 years age and must not be more than 32 years for Group “A”,‟C” and “D” posts
- (iv) The candidate must be an Indian citizen either by birth or by registration or declaration of govt of India
- (v) The candidate must have sound physical and mental health.
For Group B service, i.e., West Bengal Police Service the minimum height of the candidate should be 1.65 meters for male and 1.50 meters for female candidates.
The upper age limit shall be relaxable by 5 years for the candidates of S.C., S.T. of West Bengal, and by 3 years for the B.C candidates. For the Persons with Disabilities (PWD), the upper age limit is relaxed to 45 years. However, the candidates belonging to other States will be treated as general category candidates.
Other popular state government job notifications in the state are WB SSC, WB Forest, WB Police, WB Teachers Recruitment, etc. Drona provides all the needed material and guidance to qualify these competitive exams.
- Current notifications
- Upcoming notifications
- Previous notifications
Candidates should visit the official website of the commission and should navigate to one-time registration link
- Candidates need to fill error free data in the application and should upload scanned copies of recent passport size photo and full signature
- After finishing the one-time registration process candidates will get User ID and Password
- The candidates who have registered themselves earlier with West Bengal PSC need not register again as they can use their previous login credentials.
- With the generated User ID and Password candidates need to login to their Dashboard
- Then, the candidates needs to navigate to ‘Apply Now link’ and should submit the application form.
The selection of eligible candidates takes place in three steps i.e., written examination, physical test or medical exam and interview or personality test. Once the candidates clear written examination they should attend personality test after which they should qualify in the medical exam. Allotment of candidates to the posts will be made based on their performance in written exam and personality test. However, consideration will be given to the preferences of the candidate given in their application.
This exam will be having 200 question from various topics of general studies carrying a total of 200 marks. This exam is qualifying in nature and total time allotted is 2 hours 30 minutes.
|i||English Composition||25 Marks||2 Hours 30 Mins|
|ii||General Science||25 Marks|
|iii||Current events of National & International Importance||25 Marks|
|iv||History of India||25 Marks|
|v||Geography of India with special reference to WB||25 Marks|
|vi||Indian Polity and Economy||25 Marks|
|vii||Indian National Movement||25 Marks|
|viii||General Mental Ability||25 Marks|
|TOTAL||200 MCQs||200 Marks|
The Main Examination will be consisting of six compulsory papers and an optional subject having two papers for the candidates appearing for group A and/or B. Below table summarizes the main exam pattern.
|Group ‘A’||Group ‘B’||Group ‘C’||Group ‘D’|
|I||Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali – Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Composition, Précis Writing, and Translation from English to Bengali/Hindi/Nepali/Urdu/Santali||200||200||200||200|
|II||English – Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Translation from Bengali/ Hindi/ Urdu/ Nepali/ Santali to English, Précis Writing, and Composition.||200||200||200||200|
|III||General Studies-I : (i) Indian History with special emphasis on National Movement and (ii) Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal.||200||200||200||200|
|IV||General Studies-II: Science and Scientific & Technological advancement, Environment, General Knowledge and Current Affairs.||200||200||200||200|
|V||The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India||200||200||200||200|
|VI||Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning.||200||200||200||200|
|VII||Optional Subject – only One subject needs to be chosen, Two papers of 200 marks each.||400||400||—||—|
The candidates qualified in mains Examination for all the services will have to appear Personality Test. The interview board assesses the candidate‘s personal qualities like the power of clear and logical exposition, alertness of mind, leadership qualities, intellectual and moral integrity. For Group A and B the total marks allotted is 200 whereas for group C is 150 and Group D is 100 marks.
However, candidates for Group ‘B’ Service will be specially tested during interviews with a special focus on their suitability for the service.
- West Bengal Assistant Civil Engineer Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Director of Agriculture, Assistant Botanist Analytical Chemist Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Engineer Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Master Mistress Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Mistress Master Bengali Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Mistress Master Commerce
- West Bengal Assistant Mistress Master Geography Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Professor Anthropology Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Professor Computer Science Engineering Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Professor Electronics Communication Engineering Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Professor Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Professor Physical Education Syllabus
- West Bengal Assistant Translator Hindi Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Controller of Legal Metrology Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Director Bureau Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Engineer Agricultural Engineering Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Engineer Civil Engg Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Engineer Civil Recruitment Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Engineer Mechanical Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Commerce Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Bengali Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Chemistry Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress English Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Geography Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress History Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Life Science Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Mathematics Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Philosophy Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Physics Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Sanskrit Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Syllabus
- West Bengal Asst Master Mistress Urdu Syllabus
- West Bengal Astt Professor Syllabus
- West Bengal Audit and Accounts Services Recruitment Examination Syllabus
- West Bengal Civil Services Executive Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal CS Executive Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Field Assistant Supervisor Syllabus
- West Bengal Forest Service Subordinate Forest Service Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Graduate Teacher in Arts Syllabus
- West Bengal Graduate Teacher in Science Syllabus
- West Bengal Industrial Chemist Syllabus
- West Bengal Inspector of Factories Syllabus
- West Bengal Inspector of Legal Metrology Syllabus
- West Bengal Judicial Service Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Junior Engineer Civil,Mechanical & Electrical Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Lecturer Bengali Medium Syllabus
- West Bengal Lecturer Civil Engineering Syllabus
- West Bengal Lecturer in Govt Primary Teachers Training Institutes Syllabus
- West Bengal Lecturer in Physics Syllabus
- West Bengal Lecturer Life Science Syllabus
- West Bengal Miscellaneous Services Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Motor Vehicle Inspector Syllabus
- West Bengal Panchayat Accounts and Audit Officer Special Recruitment Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal Pass Graduate Teacher Arts Syllabus
- West Bengal PG Asst Teacher in Chemistry Syllabus
- West Bengal Probation cum Aftercare Officer Syllabus
- West Bengal Sub Inspector of Schools and Subordinate Education Service Preliminary Screening Test Syllabus
- West Bengal Sub Inspector of Schools Syllabus
- West Bengal Sub Inspector of-Schools and Subordinate Education Service Screening Test Syllabus
- West Bengal Subject Matter Specialist Syllabus
- West Bengal Survey-Engg Syllabus
- West Bengal WBCS Executive Exam Syllabus
- West Bengal WBPSC Assistant Engineer Syllabus
Co-Operative Service Commission
- West Bengal Co-operative Service Commission Advt No 1 Syllabus
- West Bengal Co-operative Service Commission Advt No 2 Syllabus
- West Bengal Co-operative Service Commission Advt No 3 Syllabus
Municipal Service Commission
- West Bengal Sub Assistant Engineer Staff Nurse and Medical Officer Syllabus
- West Bengal Sub Asst Engineer Librarian and Engineer Surveyor Syllabus