The Odisha Public Service Commission was formed on 1 April 1949 after its bifurcation from Bihar and Odisha Joint Public Service Commission. At the time of formation of the Commission, the strength was only three including the Chairman. However, the strength was increased to six by the year 1996. The Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC) is the state government agency authorized to conduct Civil Services Examination to fill different vacant posts/services under the State Government that belongs to Group ‘B’ and above.
However, Odisha Public Service Commission has faced many criticisms for not conducting the examination on time and for the delay in the releasing final results. For example Odisha Civil Service, 2011 final result was declared on February 2016 after a gap of four years. Even, in the recruitment Assistant Section Officer there was a gap of four years between advertisement & exam, and even after nine months of the exam, OPSC has not released the date of the result announcement. Other popular state service examinations in the country are Haryana Civil Services, Gujarat Civil Services, Nagaland Civil Service Exam, WB Civil Service Executive Exam, etc.
Odisha public service commission recruits eligible candidates for the posts/services under Category I/Group A and Category II/Group B in the State Government. The list of some posts and their pay scales are given in the below table.
Posts and Pay Scale
|Post Name||Pay Scale||Grade Pay|
|Group A/Category I|
|Orissa Administrative Service, – Group-A (JB)||Rs.15,600-39,100||Rs.5400|
|Orissa Police Service, Group-A (JB)||R.s 15,600-39,100||Rs.5400|
|Group B/Category II|
|Orissa Co-operative Service, Group –B(ARCS/AGCS)||Rs.9,300-34,800||Rs.4600|
|Orissa Revenue Service, Group-B||Rs.9,300-34,800||Rs.4600|
|Orissa taxation & Accounts Service-B||Rs.9,300-34,800||Rs.4600|
- The candidates applying for the post must be a citizen of India
- Upper age limit 32 and he should not less than 21 years of age
- Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognized university
- Candidates must be able to speak, write and read Odiya language fluently
- Candidates must have been passed middle school examinations with Odia as the language subject or the candidates must have studied in Odia medium.
- Candidates with more than one living spouse are not eligible
- Govt employees should get no objection certificate from the competent authority after the qualification of preliminary examination
- The candidates should have physical and mental fitness to discharge duties
- A candidate has only four attempts
- The upper age limit will be relaxed for five years for SC, ST, Socially and Economically backward class (SEBC), eligible ex-service men and women
- For Differently abled persons (PwD) the upper age limit is relaxed for 10 years.
- A candidate can get only one type of age relaxation
- SC and ST has no limit on number of attempts
- Socially and Economically backward class (SEBC) candidates can give seven attempts.
Apart from this notification, other government job notifications released in Odisha are Orissa Forest, Orissa JL, Orissa Police, Orissa TET, etc. Drona provides required updates about all these notifications.
- Current Notifications
- Upcoming Notifications
- Previous Notifications
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must ensure their eligibility before applying and should keep scanned copies of Photograph, Full Signature & Left Thumb Impression (LTI) as per guidelines given. Before starting to fill the application form it’s better to go through the advertisement thoroughly.
- a) After filling the application form, candidates should take a printout Online Application Form for future use and should take a printout of Online Challan for payment of exam fee at any State Bank of India (SBI) Branch.
- b) After successfully submitting, a Unique Registration ID will be generated and candidates are requested to note it for future correspondence.
- c) Hall tickets will be uploaded online in the official website
- d) After qualifying prelims, candidates are required to send a Printout / Hard copy of the Online Application Form, bank Challan ( OPSC copy ) and photostat copies of specified certificates in an envelope super scribing “Application for the Post of Odisha Civil Services (Main) Examination 2016″ by Registered Post or Speed Post to the below given address :
- Special Secretary,
- Odisha Public Service Commission,
- 19, Dr. P.K. Parija Road,
- Cuttack – 753 001.
Candidates are screened by at three stages namely
- Preliminary examination
- Mains examination
- Interview/Personality test
- Preliminary examination is of qualifying nature and the marks are not counted for ranking The qualifying marks will be decided the commission
- After qualifying prelims candidates needs to attend mains examination
- Examination board determines the cutoff mark for selecting the candidates for interview.
- After interview, the rankings are given based on the total marks obtained in mains examination and interview together.
Preliminary examination consists of two papers the questions will be on general studies and current affairs.
Mains examination consists of nine papers and each paper carry 300 marks expect paper III which carries only 200 marks. Last four papers will be from the optional subjects selected by the candidates. The first two paper are qualifying nature and the marks are not counted for final rankings.
Candidates need to select their two subjects as their options from the below listed subjects. There will be two papers for each optional. However, some subject combinations are not allowed. The list is given below.
List of Optional Subjects
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Agricultural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Fisheries Science
- Home Science
- Indian Language & Literature (anyone)
- (a) Oriya, (c) Sanskrit, (b) Hindi, (d) English, (f) Urdu, (e) Persian
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science & International Relations
- Public Administration
The Examination board will determine the cutoff marks and calls the candidates for interview. The interview panel tests the suitability of the candidates for the post and maximum marks allotted will be 250. Based on the total marks of mains examination and personality test the candidates will be given ranks.
For detailed Civil Services syllabus click the below link – Click Here
For More Details Exam Syllabus – Click Here
Indian Languages and Literature’s
Indian Language and Literature Paper I – Click Here
Indian Language and Literature Paper II – Click Here
Indian Language & Literature Hindi Paper I – Click Here
Indian Language & Literature Hindi Paper II – Click Here
Indian Language & Literature Sanskrit Paper I – Click Here
Indian Language & Literature Sanskrit Paper II- Click Here
English – Click Here
English Paper I – Click Here
English Paper II – Click Here
English Essay – Click Here
Odia language – Click Here
General Studies Paper I – Click Here
Agriculture Paper I – Click Here
AH & V Science Paper I – Click Here
Anthropology Paper I – Click Here
Agricultural Engineering Paper I – Click Here
Botany Paper I – Click Here
Chemistry Paper I – Click Here
Civil Engineering Paper I – Click Here
Commerce and Accountancy Paper I – Click Here
Economics Paper I – Click Here
Electrical Engineering Paper I – Click Here
Education Paper I – Click Here
Fisheries Science Paper I – Click Here
Forestry Paper I – Click Here
Geography Paper I – Click Here
Geology Paper I – Click Here
Home Science Paper I – Click Here
History Paper I – Click Here
Law Paper I – Click Here
Management Paper I – Click Here
Mathematics Paper I – Click Here
Mechanical Engineering Paper I – Click Here
Philosophy Paper I – Click Here
Physics Paper I – Click Here
Public Administration Paper I – Click Here
Psychology Paper I – Click Here
Sociology Paper I – Click Here
Statistics Paper I – Click Here
Zoology Paper I – Click Here
General Studies Paper II – Click Here
Agriculture Paper II – Click Here
AH & V Science Paper II – Click Here
Anthropology Paper II – Click Here
Agricultural Cultural Engineering Paper II – Click Here
Botany Paper II – Click Here
Chemistry Paper II – Click Here
Civil Engineering Paper II – Click Here
Commerce and Accountancy Paper II – Click Here
Economics Paper II – Click Here
Electrical Engineering Paper II – Click Here
Education Paper II – Click Here
Fisheries Science Paper II – Click Here
Forestry Paper II – Click Here
Geography Paper II – Click Here
Geology Paper II – Click Here
Home Science Paper II – Click Here
History Paper II – Click Here
Law Paper II – Click Here
Management Paper II – Click Here
Mathematics Paper II – Click Here
Mechanical Engineering Paper II – Click Here
Philosophy Paper II – Click Here
Physics Paper II – Click Here
Public Administration Paper II – Click Here
Psychology Paper II – Click Here
Sociology Paper II – Click Here
Statistics Paper II – Click Here
Zoology Paper II – Click Here