Odisha – The First State to Embrace Self Help Groups
- Odisha has become the India’s first State to adopt the Self Help Groups in India. The agreement aims to include more number of people into banking and reach more areas which are un banked areas.
- To extend banking services to more number of people, the State Government has tied up with the State Bank of India. The ambitious Odisha Livelihood Mission (OLM) under which Self Help Groups are formed will provide banking services to the people.
Highlights of the Agreement
- The agreement aims to bring 70% of the gram panchayats under its cover to provide banking services. The Self Help Groups will operate through banking correspondents.
- The correspondents will be engaged in 1000 Gram Panchayats in Scheduled areas without any banking facilities. In the later stage, the facility would be extended to 4000 Gram Panchayats. The State aims to bring more number of people into financial inclusion programme.
Odisha Livelihoods Mission (OLM)
- It is the self-governing society of the State Government under the department of Panchayat Raj. It began its operations in the year 2012.
- The program was succeeded by previous program Orissa Poverty Reduction Mission (OPRM) which was launched in the year 2006.
- Odisha Livelihoods Mission (OLM) is presently implementing National Rural Livelihoods Project and National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM).
- It is the first State in India to bring down rural poverty in the State by promoting self-employment to the rural people.
The Scheme aims to
- Activating all poor households into functionally effective Self Help Groups and other allied Federations.
- Improving the access to financing, whether it could be bank credit, marketing, technical services or any other financial services.
- Increase the capacity of gainful livelihoods, sustainable skills and other means for improving life.
- Combining various schemes for delivering better economic support to the underprivileged with better outcome.
MoPNG e-Seva to Address Grievances Related to Petroleum Sector
- MoPNG e-Seva a new initiative for the customers have been launched by the Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. The service addresses the grievance of customers related to gas and petroleum sector in India.
- The Petroleum Ministry will handle the queries on agile basis, the service is available on 24/7 basis.
- For immediate resolution of complaints, the consumers must reply to the Ministry on the service either through feedback or any other service. The applicants must send feedback either through Twitter, Facebook Page or any other service.
Water Award to ISKCON’S Govardhan Eco Village
- The Eco Village at International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) has been awarded with Water award in the “Best Water NGO-Water Education” category.
- The village has 100 acres of landscape with Cow protection, Organic farming, Rural development, Rural Education, Eco friendly constructions, Alternative energy and Sustainable living etc.
- The awards are given annually for organizations environmental achievements.