Highlights of Tamil Nadu Budget
Tamil Nadu Finance Minister D Jaya Kumar has presented a budget in the State Assembly on Thursday.
Key points of the budget.
- As GST is impending for implementation, The State did not announce tax benefit to any sector.
- Smart canes for 10,000 blind people in the State.
- Pension for disabled increased to Rs. 2000.
- Funds worth Rs. 758 crore allotted for free laptop scheme for students.
- Scooters for one lakh women at a subsidised Two-hundred crores allocated for the same.
- Medical seats in the State from 1,362 to 1,188.
World Bank to fund Solar Plant in Madhya Pradesh
The World Bank has decided to provide loan for development of internal transmission in the Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Project in Madhya Pradesh. Under the Clean Technology Fund, the Bank will provide 25 percent of the total loan amount with an interest rate of 0. 24 percent. This is the first solar project in India to procure funds under Clean Technology funds.
State Bank of India Announces Tractor Loan Settlement Scheme
The State Bank of India has announced one-time settlement for tractor loan; this is a great relief to the farm sector. This scheme covers settlement of loans worth Rs 6,000 crore. The scheme is valid until March 31st, 2017.
ONGC to Invest Rs 21, 500 for Deep Gas Exploration
The State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation will invest Rs 21,500 for the gas discovery of gas in the KG basin block.
Central Government Opens Banana Research Centre in Bihar
To improve the production of Banana and fulfil the aspirations of banana growers, the Central Government has started Banana Research centre in Bihar. The Union Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare Minister Shri Radha Mohan Singh has laid the foundation stone for construction of the research centreat Vaishaliin Bihar. The centre will research on effective utilisation of various parts of the banana plants, assess its marketing value and improve production of banana.
Mercer Rankings:Hyderabad Emerges as Best City for Living Standards
Hyderabad has been ranked the best city in India for a high standard of living among the global cities. Mercer’s Quality of Living rankings 2017 ranked both Pune and Hyderabad.
- Both Hyderabad and Pune (145) ranked for high quality of living. The Metro-Politian cities Mumbai and New Delhi have been ranked 154 and 161, respectively.
- The survey report suggests that most of the Indian cities have not made any progress on the quality of living scale.
- Chennai is the only exception; there is agreat improvement in thetransport system, expansion of metro line system and availability of housing for expats.
Mercer Global Rankings
- Vienna secured its top position for the 8th time for a high standard of living. The top countries in the world with a high standard of living are Zurich(2), Auckland(3), Munich (4), Vancouver (5) Frankfurt (7), Geneva (8), Copenhagen (9), and Basel.
- Mercer’s survey ranks based on the basic infrastructure facility to the citizens such as drinking water, electricity, mail services, public transportation, traffic congestion and telephone.
Central Government unveils ‘Building Code’ for safety
- The Central Government has unveiled revised Building Code, which makes the real estate builders responsible for the safety of structures. The Code rules are given below.
- The code was prepared by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- Structure designers and supervisors are liable for the safety of the structure.
- Builders should submit a certificate that the building has been constructed as per the planned design.
- The rules encourage use of smart technologies and new material. The guidelines and provisions are also mentioned to use innovative materials and technologies for speedier construction.
- The builder must fulfill the fire and other safety norms. The construction should provide accessibility and support to the physically disable and senior citizens.
- Inclusion of solar energy set up, modern lighting techniques and piped gas supply in houses and hospitals.
- Building codes will be included in the academic syllabus for engineering graduates. The code is voluntary and State governments can adopt these construction laws.