Survey of India
A new online portal has been launched by the Survey of India, which provides access of maps to Indian nationals. The portal ‘Nakshe’ was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Science, Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan. The portal was opened on the eve of 250th Anniversary of Survey of India.
Main Features of the Application:
- The online portal offers free topographic maps in pdf format on 1:50,000 scale.
- The service provides 3000 topographic maps to the citizens and the service will be provided through an authentication process with AADHAR card of a user.
- The maps will be helpful for scientific expeditions, projects that relate with research and developmental projects in India.
- The Topographic maps include geographical features of both man-made and formed due to geographical changes means naturally formed.
In Brief about Survey of India
- It is the official mapping agency of works under the purview of the Department of Science & Technology.
- The organization has a brief history of 250 years, it is one of the oldest scientific department established during the rule of British India.
- Survey of India prepares map for the use of civilians and defense purposes. It gives shape to the maps by following standard methodology.
- Maps are created or designed for geographical features of the country.
- The department has been instrumental in mapping and surveying each and every corner of the country through its sophisticated technology. It is playing crucial role in the developmental activities across the country.
- Scientific survey and mapping in India was put in practice using Great Trigonometric Survey (GTS) in the early 19th century. The renowned surveyors Col. Lambton and Sir George Everest were instrumental in the development of department.
The Bank Board Bureau (BBB) Report
- The Bank Board Bureau (BBB) in its guidelines to the Union Government has recommended for introduction of compensation process similar to that of Central Public Sector Enterprises.
- The move will play crucial role in attracting the brightest talent to the top jobs such as non-executive directors.
The Bank Board Bureau (BBB)
- It is the self-governing body consisting of high-profile professionals and officials of Banking sector.
- The organization was formed after replacing the Appointments Board of Government.
- It was set to renovate the Public-Sector Banks in India as part of the seven point Indradhanush mission by the Government of India.
Main Functions of the Board
- The Board gives suggestions to the Government for selecting the most appropriate individuals as non-Executive Chairman and full-time Directors in the Public-Sector Banks.
- Advise the Public-Sector Banks to deal with the stressed assets, raise funds and help them with the developmental strategies.
- BBB also guides the bank on merger, amalgamations and prominently address the issues related to bad loans.
Composition of Bank Board Bureau
- In addition to the Chairman, the Board contains three ex-officio members and experts in the Banking segment.
- The incumbent chairman of the Bank Board Bureau is Vinod Rai, the former Comptroller and Auditor General of India.