On behalf of Indian Railways, UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) conducts an examination to recruit eligible candidates for Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) for four years of apprenticeship. The selected candidates on completing the SCRA will be absorbed as Class-1 officers in Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineering (IRSME). RRB takes the responsibility of recruiting eligible candidates for other central government posts in Railways.
Special Class Railway Apprentice
Aspiring candidates must have passed Intermediate or its equivalent examination with mathematics and physics or chemistry conducted by any university or Board that is approved by the Government of India.
The age limit will be 17-21 years.
- The upper age limit will be relaxed by five years for Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribes.
- Three years for Other Backward Classes candidates.
Full details about rules of relaxations will be notified in the official notification.
Apart from this Special class railway apprentice (SCRA) notification UPSC releases other important notification such as for Indian engineering services, civil services, combined defence services, etc. Drona provides useful information to the aspirants that helps in their preparation for not only UPSC exams but also SSC exams.
- UPSC SCRA Notification
- Candidates must apply online through website or upsc.gov.in
- Navigate to the link “Online Application for SCRA”.
- Registration process has two stages, i.e., Part – I and Part – II
- In Part – I candidates need to register their Educational Qualification, Personal Details, etc. to generate registration ID and password.
- In “Part – II candidate need to Upload passport size photograph scanned copy and signature copy.
- Then candidates need to pay the requisite application fee before final submission.
The Selection process consists of written examination, medical examination and upon qualifying both a personality test or Interview will be conducted.
The Examination consists of three papers, and the first paper questions will be from general ability, the second paper will be from physical sciences, and third paper will be from mathematics; each paper carries 200 marks.
The exam pattern is given in the below table.
|I||General Ability Test||2 Hours||200|
|II||Physical Sciences (Physics and Chemistry)||2 Hours||200|
Interview or Personality Test
Candidates who perform well in the written exam will be selected for the interview by the UPSC board.
For detailed syllabus click the below link