The companies owned by the State or Central Governments in India with a stake of over 51 percent are considered as Public Sector Undertakings. The Units are categorized into State Level Enterprises (SLPEs), Public Sector Banks and Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs). All the Public-Sector Units under Central Government of India are managed by the Indian Ministry of Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
Post Indian Independence, industrial sector was very weak, to drive the economy and sector industrialization policy was adopted, the second- five-year plan stressed on development of Public sector undertakings. Non-performing and sick industries from private sector were nationalized. In the year 1968, largest private sector banks in India were nationalized by the Indira Gandhi Government.
Later, the public-sector undertakings were given financial autonomy to play a key role in the global markets. The status of Maharatna, Navaratna, Miniratna-I and Miniratna-II are being granted to the companies based on meeting certain criteria set by the Central Government. They can expand operations globally, invest and expand its units if they attain the status.
Below mentioned companies are the India’s largest Public Sector Undertakings with global reach and which have attained the status of Maharatna.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited(IOCL)
- Gas Authority of India Limited(GAIL)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- Coal India Limited(CIL)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BHEL)
- Food Corporation of India (FCI)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
The Public-sector units employ considerable number of people. The PSUs recruit candidates through conducting competitive examination, GATE scores and campus recruitments by visiting the prestigious IITs, IIMs and other institutes in India. GK and current affairs also play an important role for some jobs recruited by PSUs. They are offered lucrative packages with better facilities across India in various units and its subsidiaries.
The official notifications will be released in all the leading newspapers and candidates who meet the requirement must apply for position. These positions will be usually permanent and are government jobs. PSUs generally conduct national level exam, candidates who qualify the exam will be called for group discussion and further interview.
Some PSUs accept valid GATE scores, they will be called for group discussion and interview. The list of PSUs which accept GATE scores for recruitment.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation Ltd.
- National Fertilizers Ltd.
- NTPC Ltd.
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) Ltd.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- GAIL (INDIA) Limited
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd.
- Vizag Steel Plant
- Mazagon Dock Limited
- RITES Limited
- National Aluminum Company Limited (NALCO)
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC)
- RailTel Corporation of India Ltd.